Friday 27 July 2012

Original lesson 24: Greetings from the Simpsons

I'm teaching transactional texts at the moment and one example is greeting cards.

I made the below card to model the text to my students, from Lisa to Bart Simpson. The most challenging part for students was writing the rhyming or creative message on the right-hand side inside of the card. For those who struggled to write a traditional poem, like the one below, many attempted a riddle, mock fairy tale or at least an acrostic poem using our class WOW word board for inspiration.
After printing it, I hand wrote the personal message from Lisa to Bart on the left-hand side of the card, including a salutation and sign off.

Dearest Bart,

I hope you have an absolutely spectacular 10th birthday full of fireworks and puppy dogs. I begged mum and dad to purchase that Krusty doll you wanted.

Love your little sister,

Lisa
How or what have you used to introduce a text type and its elements to your students?

No comments: