Tuesday 22 May 2012

Original lesson 20: Self-assessment Tools

I'm a big believer in using self-assessment tools in the classroom, particularly in grade three and upwards. I've attached a few tools I have used to aid my students to effectively engage in self-assessment. It can be an enlightening task for both students and myself as a teacher. It is often helpful in formatively identifying where a student is lacking and needs extra scaffolding, particularly if it is carried out halfway through a unit or major assignment to fix and alter a piece of work before the final summative assessment.

I used this self-assessment rubric, handed out to students at the very commencement of an Xtranormal unit (link to class blog animation movies), which they then coloured in and dated as they progressed through the standards:

Another tool, which is fairly common but this is my own version of it, is a reflection wheel. Again, this works best towards halfway or 2/3rds of the way through a unit. I try to avoid using self-assessment tools at the conclusion of pieces of work as it limits students' opportunity to improve unless you are conducting a similar project in your class in the near future (eg an ongoing authors' club):


Other great self-assessment/reflection tools which I have seen (not my own creations) are:

- Reflection sticks where students pick a stick and talk about it. Examples:
  • WOW, today I ...
  • I pumped my fist in the air when ...
  • I was totally stumped by ...
- Writing a letter to a future student at the conclusion of a unit with tips to succeed.

- Writers' checklists (which in the younger years may just be one goal and then build up to a checklist - I still think a checklist is important to ensure that students do not slip into old mistakes as they progress down their individualised list of goals):
You can also use text-type specific checklists which are particularly helpful for jogging students' memories on the features their writing should display.

What formative self-assessment tools do you use to help students improve their work halfway through a unit or during a lesson?

No comments: